Fokker D.VII OAW (mid)RODEN #029 / 1:72 WWI Aircraft
Old price: $7.95
Your price: $7.50
On April 1918 new fighters Fokker D.VII were delivered to the most known and experienced hunting units (Jastas). This plane is seriously differed among all others fighters of that time, especially for it's excellent flying performances, strong construction and highly live ness. British and French pilots, who's meet new fighter in the sky of Western Front, gave it nickname "square-nosed". Dogfighters with "square nosed" planes was fatal for allied planes in majority of cases. First barchs of Fokker D.VII were built directly on the Fokker plants in Schwerin. German Air Commanding need a more quantity of new fighters and soon Albatros Werke received order to produce D.VII under license. Apart head plants, located in Johannisthal, Albatros company had a branch plants in Schneidemuhl, named Ostdeutschen Albatros Werken. Possibilities of the OAW factory allowed building more aircrafts than Albatros and Fokker plants build together. Early OAW - built planes were similar to Fokker - built machines in almost details. Main difference was four-color lozenge fabric on all surfaces apart nose, where distinctive "giraffe" - like pattern is applied, - mauve stains on the green cowling. On May 1918 firsts shame news came from the Front: several D.VII crashed after in-flight fires; origin of these troubles was unknown until Lt.F. Friedrichs survived after same accident. He reported that ammunition in his aircraft caught fire and main fuel tank and fuels vapor around the engine flashed also. Ammunitions installation was improved. For best ventilation of engine many additional louvers on the lateral panels were added. Through all period when OAW build Fokker D.VII, different sub modification had non-similar external points of cooling system. About 2000 Fokker D.II was built by OAW in total, - larger than 50% from all built of this particular type. Allies captured big quantity of uncompleted OAW's D.VII after occupation of this Germany's region.